Categorized | News

ERASE bullying nets three complaints

Three anonymous complaints of bullying have been made to Coquitlam school district since the province of B.C. launched its ERASE online reporting tool two months ago.

Three anonymous complaints of bullying have been made to School District 43 since the province launched its ERASE online reporting tool two months ago, including one about possible cyberbullying on Facebook.

All were investigated with results sent to ERASE authorities, according to Julie Pearce, SD43’s assistant superintendent and safe school co-ordinator, and while she can’t reveal details because of privacy regulations, she noted two were made by parents and one was made by a student.

Pearce said the complaints, all made in December, were handled promptly and appropriately by the schools in much the same way they would have been if reported directly to the school. But she said she believes the anonymity of the reporting tool on the ERASE (Expect Respect, and a Safe Education) website made it easier for the individuals to make their complaints.

“It’s a place where people can feel comfortable,” Pearce said, noting as well that ERASE will be providing three days of training to SD43 staff in mid-February. Topics will include threat assessment as well as bullying, and will be for administrators and counsellors.

ERASE was launched in November by the province to encourage students to report bullying online or using a smartphone. Carol Todd, whose daughter Amanda committed suicide in October after years of online and face-to-face bullying, is giving cautious approval to the online web tool and said she hopes more people will continue to pay attention to the issue.

“IT’S WRONG”

“I only hope that it continues to grow and that kids and parents will continue to report on bullying and cyberbullying,” Todd said. “That’s the only way that we can begin to get the message through that it’s wrong.”

The problem is far from over, though, and she said, “I still hear of kids bullying other kids and they are just sucking it up.”

Todd said she would also like to see more resources made available for parents so they are alerted to instances of bullying around them, including harassment of their own children.

Resources for parents and students are available on the ERASE bullying website (www.erasebullying.ca), which also includes a reporting function that alerts a safe school coordinator within 72 hours of a complaint. If no response is filed with ERASE, a school district superintendent is notified. The complaint can go as far as the Minister of Education if it is not dealt with at the district level.

Tri-City News – ERASE bullying nets three complaints

12 Responses to “ERASE bullying nets three complaints”

1. clancy B says:

“ERASE was launched in November by the province to encourage students to report bullying online or using a smartphone.” Where’s the app? I searched and couldn’t find it. Was it ERASED?

2. pinkshirtday says:

Clancy B – the Province decided not to create an app for fear that the bullied person would be revealing he/she is being bullied by having the app on their phone. Instead, the Province put into place the online reporting tool.

3. clancy B says:

They originally announced a smartphone app would be made available and was clearly a requirement included in their very detail RFP. So in 2 months they received a whopping 3 reports in a student population of approximately 30,000 students attending 67 schools (re: their website). It seems that BC kids are still to be seen and not heard.

4. Anika says:

While I fully support pink shirt day and all it represents and I would love to see its message spread clearly and to all…your recent ad has dreadfully missed the mark. An ad that makes you DIVE for the mute button is absolutely, totally ineffective.

5. pinkshirtday says:

Anika – thanks for your comment. Our ad is certainly creating conversations all across Canada! While not everyone’s taste, the ad has been well received for having a clear message, unique take on getting involved, attention grabbing and “multilingual” as there are very few words.

We are always open to suggestions for next year’s ad!

6. I leave a comment whenever I like a article on a site or
    if I have something to valuable to contribute to the conversation.
    Usually it’s caused by the passion communicated in the post I read. And on this post ERASE bullying nets three complaints | PinkShirtDay.ca. I was actually moved enough to drop a thought :) I actually do have 2 questions for you if it’s
    allright. Is it only me or do a few of the responses come across
    like written by brain dead folks? :-P And, if you are writing at additional sites,
    I’d like to follow you. Would you list every one of all your public pages like your linkedin profile, Facebook page or twitter feed?

7. Randal says:

Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering if you knew of any widgets I could add
    to my blog that automatically tweet my newest
    twitter updates. I’ve been looking for a plug-in like this for quite some time and was hoping maybe you would have some experience with something like this. Please let me know if you run into anything. I truly enjoy reading your blog and I look forward to your new updates.

8. Howdy! I just discovered your web page: ERASE bullying nets three complaints | PinkShirtDay.

ca when I was surfing around delicious.com. It looks
    as though someone enjoyed your website so much they decided to bookmark it.
    I’ll surely be coming here more often.

9. My partner and I stumbled over here different web address and thought I might check things out.
    I like what I see so now i’m following you. Look forward to looking at your web page yet again.

10. Hi, just wanted to say, I enjoyed this blog post. It was funny. Keep on posting!

11. Hi there, just wanted to tell you, I liked this post. It was funny. Keep on posting

12. What’s up, just wanted to say, I liked this article. It was inspiring. Keep on posting!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

Blue Captcha Image
Refresh

Donate to Pink Shirt Day

Latest Instagram

• Many warm wishes for the holiday season! Thanks to all of our 2014 supporters - we can't wait to see what 2015 will bring!
#pinkshirtday #psd2015 #happyholidays #antibullying
  • Pink Shirt Day 2015 is Wednesday, February 25, and our posters are ready! Visit our website (link in profile) to download and print them off - use them to announce #pinkshirtday events or let people know your school or business is selling the official shirts. We would love to see how you use the posters! Send your photos to photos@pinkshirtday.ca or tag them using #pinkshirtday.
#antibullying #psd2015 #pinkshirtday2015 #nomorebullying #thispinkshirtsaysenough
  • Pink Shirt Day 2015 shirts are now available for purchase! Head over to pinkshirtday.ca to get yours and say ENOUGH to bullying.
#pinkshirtday #psd2015 #antibullyingday
  • Big thanks to @clearlycontacts for their awesome team spirit on #pinkshirtday! #repost #clearlycontacts #antibullying
  • Lacrosse fans! Check out @vancouverstealth making some noise on #pinkshirtday! Thx for the support! #latergram #repost #stealthlax
  • You can still support #pinkshirtday! Official t's now $4 @LondonDrugs in Western Canada! Let's keep the message going :) #antibullying #bc #standup #pinkshirt
  • What a day! Looking back on all the energy, enthusiasm, cheers, high-fives, hugs, donations, tweets, posts and tags we saw today is just amazing. Thanks to everyone across Canada who helped us create a conversation about ending bullying in our schools, workplaces and online. The funds we raise this year will go a long way in supporting our anti-bullying programs so please know - you make a difference! #thankyou #grateful #pinkshirtday #canada #goodnight
  • As we wrap up the evening, we need to recognize one of the hardest working ladies we know, CKNW Orphans' Fund Executive Director, @jensu2. Her and her team are responsible for the planning and execution of #pinkshirtday and we're so very grateful for their dedication to making our event the biggest and best ever! Cheers, Jen! You rock!!
  • You still have time to find that perfect pair of frames from @clearlycontacts. Today only, every pair sold = a $5 donation to #pinkshirtday! We love this pick by style ambassador, @shaughnessy #repost www.clearlycontacts.ca/glasses

Latest Tweets

Our Sponsors

• Global News
  • Coast Capital Savings
  • BCGEU
  • London Drugs
  • Hootsuite

You’re Invited

Make some noise against bullying